Meditating is quieting your chatty mind. Commit to meditating 5-10 minutes a day. It's better to meditate for 5-10 minutes daily rather than 60 minutes once a week.
Make anything a meditation by completely focusing on it and engaging all your senses. Smell the different garden or kitchen scents. Feel the music pulsating in your body. Listen to the tree leaves rustle or the appliances hum.
Experiment with different locations and activities: Sit at your desk or in a bathtub. While cooking, gardening, or folding laundry. Washing the dishes or mowing the lawn.
Use nature for a stronger connection. Sit by the water's edge, lean against a tree, walk through the wood.
- Take three deep breaths and clear your thoughts. Follow your breath as it moves in and out of your body. Feel the rhythm of your heartbeat.
- Place your attention inside the very center of your body. Feel the peaceful stillness and quiet within.
- As thoughts drift into your mind, gently sweep them away like clouds.
- Think of something or someone in your life for which you are grateful.
- Imagine inhaling a healing golden or pink light throughout your entire body and exhaling your anxieties out.
- Create a safe place within your mind you can always return to, i.e. sitting by a waterfall or fireplace, walking a beach. Add details and engage all your senses.
- End your meditation by "grounding," i.e. imagine your legs growing like roots into the earth.
Got a great way to meditate? We'd love to hear it.